Sunday 2 February 2014

Chinatown


So last night I forced my reluctant family out to Chinatown to go see the Chinese New Year Festival, which turned out to be a massive bust, seeing as there was maybe five lost people wandering around the streets. 
Since we were already there I wanted to walk around and take some pictures.
I had been hoping to get lots of pictures of lanterns and lights and firecrackers, but the only thing that was lit up were these pretty hanging lanterns lining the roofs all along the streets.
We walked in to the marketplace where I got  picture of this cool little lion guy. 
I'll call him Steve.
There wasn't much else except a big statue of Lady Luck which I got one (blurry) picture of.
Leaving the market we kept walking down the street as I kept looking for anything possibly interesting to photograph, which is when I saw this awesome door. 
I love doors, especially Chinese style doors, so I quickly took about 50 pictures before I was satisfied. 
Moving on, we passed a few fruit and vegetable stands, and if there's anything I love more than door pictures, it's fresh produce pictures. 
I only managed to get one as I was hustled along to our final destination, dinner. 

After longingly gazing after the fruit as I briskly walked along, we got to Downbeat Diner, the chosen source for that night's sustenance. 
Across the street was this awesome tile mural on the wall as a little remembrance that we were in Hawaii. 
On the window was a cute little poster advertising the live music they sometimes have playing there.
The old-timey circus feel reminded me of a paper circus my grandmother bought for me in Paris years and years ago, which I still have most of the pieces for floating around. 
Finally we were inside and seated, with a nice woman with blonde and pink hair bringing us menus and water.
This place is a little rockabilly style diner surrounded by the high society bars and grill places in chinatown.
It's where you see all the colour on a Saturday night.
Another cool thing is they can make almost anything vegan or vegetarian if you ask. 
I ordered a teriyaki mushroom burger and some garlic fries. (Note to future self, buy gum beforehand..)
Unfortunately the food all kind of disappeared before I thought to take a picture. 
I know, dumb me.
After that we walked back to the car as the sun was setting and giving off a cool glow which is when I noticed the cute street lamps. 
Look at them.
Being cute and stuff.
Anyway after some persuasion, I got to go to Don Quijote, which for those of you who don't know, is a massive Japanese store chain.
I was there in particular to get Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil (which I'll do a review of in the future), but I also stopped in to Beauty Touch, our local kpop merch/cd, Drama, Skin product shop, just to stare because they didn't have Exo's Miracles In December which I totally meant to order months ago and just.. Never did. 
But that sums up my night in chinatown! 
What kind of things do you have in your chinatown? More than one kpop store? 
I'd love to properly go around and take pictures but that will have to wait for another day!
Until the next time.
안녕!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I'll try get back to you as soon as I can~